The student news site of Holy Family Catholic High School

The Phoenix

Fire start season 2-0

John Grunow

John Grunow

The football team kicked off its season last Thursday with a 38-35 win over the New London Wildcats. Each team scored 21 points in a high-scoring first quarter in which Fire QB Jacob Zay threw two 50 yard TD passes, one to Ryan Bowlin and one to Nick Hendler.

Each team settled into a defensive groove over the next three quarters, which saw New London and Holy Family trade touchdowns. A 31 yard FG by Colin Neve gave the Fire the 3 point margin of victory.

After the game, Nick Lynch reflected on the team effort: “We got off to a fast start and played some solid defense against a pretty decent quarterback. The offense also played well and helped keep possession of the ball, with only one turnover.”

On Friday night, the team traveled to Litchfield, hoping to remain undefeated. The Fire took an early lead on a Sam Riegert rushing TD in the first quarter, before seeing Litchfield tie the game at 7-7 on a run of their own midway through the second quarter. A 21 yard Colin Neve FG gave the team a 10-7 lead going into the locker room.

The Dragons added another touchdown in the third quarter to take a 14-10 lead. Fortunately, Sam Winfield recovered a fumble in the end zone to score his first touchdown of the year and give Holy Family the 17-14 victory.

After the game, captain Joe Olson credited the line for helping the team’s rushing attack: “The offensive line has had a strong start to the season. We’ve been getting a good push, so we are able to run the ball well and I think that can be key to our wins this year.”

The boys look to maintain their undefeated start to the season in a game against Watertown-Mayer on Friday at home. Kickoff is set for 7pm.

• Fire start season 2-0

Reviews

Marvel’s Thor returns with a newfound sense of purpose

• Fire start season 2-0

News

Annual service day sends students out into the community

• Fire start season 2-0

Variety

City of Saints & Thieves is an enthralling murder mystery

• Fire start season 2-0

Humor

Comic: Snow Days

• Fire start season 2-0

News

Video: Night to Fight Homelessness

• Fire start season 2-0

News

4 ways to become more politically involved

• Fire start season 2-0

News

Students brave cold and snow on Night to Fight

• Fire start season 2-0

Sports

Tennis finishes 2nd at state tournament

• Fire start season 2-0

Sports

Zay, Phillips hope to build on season’s successes

• Fire start season 2-0

Variety

Artist Spotlight: Lucy Treat