16 students win MSHSL art awards

Every year, Minnesota schools have the opportunity to submit their best 18 pieces of art to the Minnesota State High School League Art Show. Holy Family’s art teacher, Mrs. Gamble, says it’s “an honor to get selected to begin with.” This year, every single piece submitted by the sixteen participating students was recognized with an award. Mrs. Gamble commented that “this year was one of our highest rated years,” although Holy Family typically does well in the competition.

The Minnesota State High School League Art Show is run similarly to a sports competition. The artists are judged on a scale of 1-20 on their piece and their artist’s statement. To receive the highest rating (superior), the artist must score a 17 or above. Four other students who entered their work received an excellent rating, the second highest rating you can earn.

These students were awarded…

Superior Rating:

Mary Seifert, Lucy Treat, Caitlyn Shipp, Tom Mahota (3), Maggie Mahota, Lauren Arrett, Ashlyn Rakos, Josh Adams, Paige Wicka, Tanner Braun, Claire Melander and John Grunow

Excellent Ratings:

Eleanor Erdman, Matt Anderson and Mary Rukavina

Spotlight:

Tom Mahota and Josh Adams

Josh Adams (9) won a spotlight award, which means his piece was chosen to be displayed at Perpich Center for Arts Education. He said his piece was a short film with the message to, “leave behind electronics and go out into nature.” He edited various royalty-free video clips together to make the video. It is the first award he has ever received for visual arts. Josh said, “I was very surprised to win, especially on my first edited video!”

Tanner Braun (12), who received a superior rating for photography, told us about his piece. Tanner’s photo, called “Empty Nutrition,” was taken over the summer when he was in Washington. This is not his first time winning an award at the Minnesota State High School League Art Show. He also won an award last year. Tanner said, “It feels very good to win because I love when others appreciate my work just as much as I appreciate it.”

Congratulations to all the deserving award winners.