Getting to know HF’s new faculty

This year, nine new faces join the staff at Holy Family, which is the biggest group in the last ten years. Along with the schoolteachers, there are a number of fresh “behind the scenes” staff members. This Q&A is meant to provide insight into who they are and help us get to know these new members of the family.

Mrs. Boerboom

Where were they before Holy Family?

Mrs. Boerboom worked at a Christian Preschool before coming to Holy Family.

What is their title at HF?

Information Center and Test Coordinator

Where do they live?

Champlin

Where did they attend college?

Concordia College, Moorhead

Why did you come to Holy Family?

Mr. Dols spoke very highly of HF and when he offered her a job she was eager to take it.

FUN FACT:

She has a two-year-old boxer dog named Willis.

Ms. McCoy:

Where were they before Holy Family?

Ms. McCoy has worked with the school for six years, but is only now joining full time at only Holy Family. Before that she taught special education for 14 years and has also worked at schools like Southwest Christian, IAA, Guardian Angels, as well as various others.

What is your title at HF?

School Counselor

Where do they live?

Carver

Where did you attend college?

Undergrad in Elementary Education/ Special Education at Mankato State University

Master’s Degree in K-12 School Counseling from University of Wisconsin Stout

Why did you come to Holy Family?

The ability to have one-on-one time and small case of load individuals make it easier to make a connection and help individual students.

FUN FACT:

Ms. McCoy was a gymnast through high school and coached for many years, starting in ninth grade. She was the coach of the State Champion Minnesota team in 1998!

She also has two children, Mia (5) and Jacob (11), and enjoys spending time with them.

Ms. Donnelly

Where were they before Holy Family?

Ms. Donnelly worked as a financial analyst for Best Buy.

What is their title at HF?

Accountant

Where do they live?

Victoria

Where did they attend college?

Undergraduate at Moorhead State

Master’s Degree in Business at St. Thomas University

Why did they come to Holy Family?

Holy Family is close to home and she hopes her two younger girls will attend after graduating from St. Hubert’s school. Holy Family also has a nice environment and it feels like a close-knit family.

FUN FACT:

Ms. Donnelly has two daughters, one in 5th grade and one in 8th.

Mr. Olson

Where were they before Holy Family?

Before coming to HF, Mr. Olson was completing his Master’s Degree in English with an emphasis in communication, arts, and literature at the University of Minnesota. He was also the director of the theater program for kids in Golden Valley and Hopkins for kids in grades K-12.

What is their title at HF?

Theater/Performance Center Director and English Teacher for 11th and 12th graders (teaches American and Modern Literature)

Where do they live?

Plymouth

Where did they attend college?

Received an Undergraduate Degree from the University of Minnesota in Communication and Film

Why did they come to Holy Family?

Tim Reily was a mentor of Mr. Olson’s, and always told him about the great staff and kids at Holy Family. This year Mrs. Brown welcomed Mr. Olson into the school and was excited to move in a positive direction with the theater program. Another aspect of the school that excited Mr. Olson was the religious aspect within the school and the idea that it was normal to talk openly about God.

FUN FACT:

Mr. Olson can play the guitar and piano. He has the ability to listen to music and play it by ear. He also believes in collaboration, and he wants to receive feedback from the students to create a harmonious environment.

Mr. Brennan

Where were they before Holy Family?

Mr. Brennan was the Director of Catholic schools in Rochester, MN. He was in charge of 1500 kids split between 3 elementary schools and one high school (ages preschool to 12th). Before he lived in Rochester, he worked in Phoenix, Arizona for ten years as a volunteer teacher and he eventually became principal.

What is their title at HF?

President of Holy Family

Where do they live?

Victoria

Where did they attend college?

Undergrad at Boston College

Two graduate degrees from Notre Dame: one in Education and the other in Education Leadership

Why did they come to Holy Family?

He felt the Holy Spirit calling him towards Holy Family. Mr. Brennan was at a time frame in his life when moving was not the most convenient because he had just been blessed with twin girls. However, he uprooted his family and moved out to Victoria to become our President at HF.

FUN FACT:

He has two sets of twins; twin boys that are two and a half, and twin girls that are five months old. He also has a passion for education and kids, and wants everyone to know that he is always around to talk.

Mrs. Paula Charchenko

Where were they before Holy Family?

Mrs. Charchenko was working as a graphic designer and photographer.

What is their title at HF?

Special Events and Marketing Coordinator

Where do they live?

Victoria

Where did they attend college?

University of Wisconsin Stout

Why did they come to Holy Family?

Mrs. Charchenko has a son that attends Holy Family and she likes the environment and community.

FUN FACT:

She has four children ranging from 4 years old, 6th grade, 8th grade, and 11th grade.

Mrs. Barnholdt

Where were they before Holy Family?

Before Holy Family, Mrs. Barnholdt worked in a St. Paul middle school as a Physical Education and Heath teacher. She also spent a year working at Wayzata High School.

What is their title at HF?

Physical Education and Health Teacher as well as Activities Coordinator

Where do they live?

Eden Prairie

Where did they attend college?

Gustavus Adolphus College

Why did they come to Holy Family?

Holy Family is a small, faith based community, which is very appealing. She also heard many good things about the students at the school.

FUN FACT:

Mrs. Barholdt really enjoys Volleyball and Basketball, both of which she played in college for Gustavus. She also has two children, ages two and six.

Ms. Horton

Where were they before Holy Family?

Ms. Horton worked for the University of Minnesota for nine years and then at Coon Rapids High School before coming to Holy Family.

What is their title at HF?

School Counselor

Where do they live?

Plymouth

Where did they attend college?

Undergraduate at University of Minnesota in Psychology

Masters at University Wisconsin River Falls in Science and School Counseling

Why did they come to Holy Family?

Ms. Horton came to Holy Family because she grew up attending Catholic Schools and missed the environment. She was a counselor at the University of Minnesota for nine years, but she wanted to work through the college process with high school students and form better relationships within the smaller community.

FUN FACT:

Ms. Horton has two cats named Bradley and Sally. She also loves baking and working in her gardens. It is very important to Ms. Horton that everyone knows she is always around to talk and is excited to meet new people.

Mrs. Schuele

What is their title at HF?

Transportation Coordinator

What does their job entail?

Mrs. Schuele drives the Holy Family van from the city of Eden Prairie to HF every day.