The Phoenix

“Never Again” movement gains momentum

Seventeen people. Fourteen students and three staff members. Seventeen lives stripped away by the shots of an AR-15. Never again.

“Never again” say the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. From Columbine to Sandy Hook, there have been WAY too many schools shootings for nothing to be done. This time, the ones standing up on this issue are the students themselves.

Naming the movement Never Again, students from MSD are determined to make sure no student has to fear for their lives at school EVER again. Leading the charge for the #NeverAgain movement is Cameron Kasky, senior at MSD who recruited two other significant voices (among many others), Emma Gonzalez and David Hogg. He and the rest of his classmates have been extremely vocal about their opinions on twitter: advocating for gun control and gun laws, thorough background checks, and tweeting at President Trump for change.

According to the students, MSD will be the first step towards tighter gun control and the last school shooting. Their movement, eager to remain nonpartisan, has spread rapidly to people around the nation who have given their support for these students.

These students, once scared for their lives, are banding together with love and support as they grieve the loss of their friends, siblings, classmates, and teachers. Determined to keep their memory strong, students and parents use their loss to encourage, inspire, and take action. Fighting earnestly for change, the students called for a town hall which was hosted by CNN, and organized “March For Our Lives” in Tallahassee. Students remain involved even after accusations of staging or “acting” in their interviews since they participate in theater at their school. In reality, these teenagers realize the importance of this issue. Pushing, specifically, for political representatives to reject contributions given by the NRA and make significant change without their influence.

Their main goal is to advocate for the lives lost and to gather solidarity behind the fact that this should never happen in any school. Students should not be massacred or have the fear of being massacred at their own school while receiving education to become future leaders. That is the entire soul behind the Never Again movement. #NeverAgain #MSDStrong

• “Never Again” movement gains momentum

News

2018 Graduation Recap

• “Never Again” movement gains momentum

News

Impaired/Distracted Driving: Know the Facts

• “Never Again” movement gains momentum

News

OPINION: Restricting Gun Rights is Misguided and Unacceptable

• “Never Again” movement gains momentum

News

Hundreds of thousands gather for March for Our Lives

• “Never Again” movement gains momentum

News

Students and faculty donate enough blood to save 117 lives

• “Never Again” movement gains momentum

News

International Women’s Day: Gender inequality persists

• “Never Again” movement gains momentum

News

You are more than a number

• “Never Again” movement gains momentum

News

OPINION: America’s Devastating Gun Culture: The Undeniable Facts

• “Never Again” movement gains momentum

News

Black History Month: Racism is not a thing of the past

• “Never Again” movement gains momentum

News

What to expect at Martedi Grasso