Leigh Steiner Wins Holy Family Female Athlete of the Year

Since 2002, Holy Family Catholic High School has had a tradition of awarding a male and female senior with “Athlete of the Year” honors at Recognition Day.  This year, Holy Family had another impressive class of athletes.  Many seniors have built outstanding sports resumes during their time at Holy Family.  There are numerous Division I athletes as well.  The seniors helped lead the Fire’s football and hockey team to a Section Final as well as the boys soccer and girls basketball team to the Minnesota State High School League State Tournament.

On April 25, Leigh Steiner was named Holy Family’s Female Athlete of the Year and deservedly so.  While there are many talented female athletes in the class of 2019, Leigh Steiner is without a doubt, one of the best athletes to ever walk through Holy Family’s doors.  Steiner possesses an illustrious list of accomplishments in both basketball and lacrosse.

Steiner has been a member of Holy Family’s varsity girls basketball team since her freshmen year.  As a freshman, Steiner served as a key contributor during the Fire’s first state tournament appearance in 2016.  She also helped the Fire make Section Final appearances her sophomore and junior year.  During her senior year, Steiner led the Fire to their first Wright County Conference title and helped the Fire make another state tournament appearance, where she helped the Fire secure their first consolation championship.  Steiner was also named All-Conference and team MVP during her junior and senior year.  This past season, Steiner was named to the State-All-Tournament team for her outstanding play during the state tournament.  She was also named All-State Honorable Mention and a Miss Basketball Minnesota finalist.  Without a doubt, Steiner has left her mark on the girls basketball program; during her time playing for the Fire, she has accumulated 1,193 points, has received numerous prestigious awards for her outstanding play, and has led the Fire to multiple state appearances and helped them win their first conference title.

Steiner’s long list of accolades doesn’t stop there.  In addition to being a star basketball player, she has also proven to be an elite lacrosse player during her time at Holy Family.  Steiner was named captain and team MVP both her sophomore and junior year.  Steiner was also named first team All-State her sophomore year and Minnesota All-Metro second team as a junior.  Steiner came into her senior year with high hopes for herself; Steiner aspired to be named Miss Lacrosse Minnesota, which she very well could have done.  Unfortunately, Leigh’s lacrosse career was cut a little bit short when she tore her ACL while playing in the girls basketball consolation championship game this past winter.  Next fall, Leigh will be attending Marquette University on a Division I lacrosse scholarship.

Congratulations, Leigh, on winning Holy Family Female Athlete of the Year honors and your tremendous sports career at Holy Family.  Leigh has proven to not only be a talented athlete and tremendous leader during her basketball and lacrosse career at Holy Family, but also a great person.  Leigh will be missed.  Her impact on Holy Family’s basketball and lacrosse programs will never be forgotten.  One thing is for sure: this won’t be the last time you hear Leigh’s name.  Leigh has a bright future ahead of her both academically and in sports.  Look for Leigh to be a key member of Marquette University’s Division I lacrosse team.