Importance of the Arts in College Admissions

For the past few years, I have been having a lot of conversations about college, specifically the college admissions process. I have been told what I need to accomplish to have a well written resume and what is good to have on a college resume. I have always been told that it is very important to include a large athletic background. I agree that it is important because of the involvement of life skills, but too often I’ve heard it is more important than including the fine arts on a college application. As sports do incorporate a lot of life skills such as working with others, time management and high work ethic, the fine arts have just as many life skills involved as well. 

After speaking with many of those who run the fine arts programs at Holy Family, I have a keener appreciation as to the importance of the fine arts program. The arts are a broad spectrum of programs, it spreads from digital to physical art. They are important because they are a creative outlet for everyone involved. Holy Family’s Art/Painting/Drawing/Clay instructor, Mrs. Shelagh Gamble, stated that “We are living in a creative society. Recognizing your unique creativity and using it as it applies to your application can set you apart from others with similar grades and extracurriculars.” There are many opportunities that are available to those who are involved in the fine arts. As Mrs. Gamble had stated, the fine arts are not only a great option to help set yourself apart from others, it is also a great opportunity to earn scholarships for the work you have done. The arts are involved in all human lives, it’s in learning how to create, express, problem solve and envision, all of which are traits that are essential for college and a career outside of the arts. 

There are multiple facets and creative aspects to the arts, many of which are seen in our daily lives. Mr. Brad Perrin-Smith, the instructor for digital photography and video production at Holy Family, explained that “Colleges look for students that are not only knowledgeable in their intended major, but those who have experienced broader interests; multiple activities; and all the humanities. It also doesn’t hurt to have well-composed, clear, and understandable imagery, if needed in the application process.” The fine arts expose people to new levels of thinking and creativity that will help in numerous situations. The understanding of the context that is spoken through all mediums of art is a skill that can be developed with time and can be a great asset to have for the future. To be able to interpret what a piece of art is trying to convey is a skill that is essential for not only college but also for many careers. The idea that the life skills you develop now will stick with you until the future is an advantage many try to achieve, Mr. Perrin-Smith had explained that within art “The tools and technology may change, but the knowledge used to express yourself or capture the beauty seen in life, is the same” and that with the knowledge and capability to express oneself through different mediums is an advantage of its own.  

The fine arts include many aspects of human life, Holy Family’s Instrumental Music/Music Theory instructor Ms. Laura Boillat explained in detail the benefits of such arts, “Students learn the value of teamwork, leadership, creativity, personal responsibility and dedication, how to prioritize and set goals, time management, how to work through and overcome obstacles, and create social-emotional connections.” All the instructors I spoke with are very passionate in what they teach their students, and they emphasize the importance of such life skills that are expressed through all the arts. I believe that it is important to have extra curriculars on a college resume that includes the fine arts. Courses that involve the arts broadens a student’s capabilities and highlights the diversity of their applications. Today it is important to grow in the creativity and higher understanding of various art forms, because they are becoming more prominent in today’s fast paced life.