2019-20 Girls Hockey Preview

Head coach Randy Koeppl has created a girls hockey program almost no one can contend with. With players ranging from Eden Prairie, Edina, Bloomington, Hopkins, Chaska, Chanhassen, Victoria, Waconia, Buffalo, Rosemount, Minnetonka, and Shakopee, the girls team is on the brink of being a powerhouse program. The team, containing 4 seniors, and only 1 junior, showcases the youth this team has. The girls will face East Ridge Thursday, which will be the first game of their second season. As there will be only 1 senior next year, this will be the year to do something special.

Forwards- Senior captains Caitlin Rock, Lauren Hickey, Sydney Paulson, and Cecily Cronin will lead the underclassmen this year. Rock and Hickey, both 5th year players, are expected to be key pieces yet again. After all, they have combined for  75 goals and 78 assists through the past 4 years. Paulson put up 9 goals and 13 assists last season, and Cronin, only playing half the season, scored 3 goals. Freshmen Taylor Koeppl, who had 31 points last year for the Fire as an 8th grader, and Grayson Limke, who had 14 goals last season for Buffalo, are both expected to be on the first forward line. The Sophomore trio of Briar Charchenko, Kayla Woytcke, and MacKenzie Moss, combining for 14 goals and 8 assists last season, will look to make an even bigger impact this year. Also Look for Sophomore Brooke Batker, and 7th grader Josie Linn to get playing time here and there as well.

Defense- Outstandingly, the oldest defenseman on this team will be only a sophomore. The first of 4 sophomores is Maeve Kelly, who scored the goal that sent the 2019 section game against Shakopee into OT with only seconds left. Edina native Maddie Morgan, who scored the lone goal in the game against state champion Breck last season, will be a hard matchup for most teams. Speedy Minnetonka transfer, sophomore Caroline Cronin, along with Hopkins transfer, freshman Justina Valentini, scoring 4 goals with 2 assists as an 8th grader last year, will provide new energy to the defensive lines. Sophomore Libby Kamp is a question mark on if she will play forward or defense, but no matter where she plays, an impact will be made. Freshmen Logan Paulson, Ella Knewtson, and Jaiden Lindemann are expected to receive time as well.

Goaltending- With last years captain and star player, Alex Pellicci, opting to play for the boys team, freshman Sedona Blair and the only junior on the team, Jillian Oncay, will most likely split time in net. Blair, playing 8 games last year, won 7 of them along with 1 shootout loss. She averaged less then a goal per game, as well as a .949 save percentage. Oncay, a transfer from Visitation, played in 4 games last year for St. Paul United, getting 2 wins, with a .906 save percentage.