Advice from a Transfer Student

Collin Nawrocki / The Phoenix

Why not join Holy Family Tennis? Briar Charchenko ’22, Lauren Hickey ’20, Lauren Taylor ’21, and Morgan Hausback ’20

Change can be challenging and can also be confusing. Whether you are a transfer student or a freshman, I have four tips that will hopefully help your transition to be as smooth as possible.

1. GET INVOLVED RIGHT AWAY: This may be something that you hear from a variety of people, but the reality is it is true. I was very apprehensive about getting involved because I transferred from a much larger school. If you are apprehensive, find something that involves something that you enjoy. I always loved volleyball, which I played for many years. With the help of staff from Holy Family, I reached out to the volleyball team and asked if there was a need for a team manager. Sure enough, there was, and so I worked alongside another student who was also a manager. Volleyball is a sport that has events and practices throughout the summer, so it allowed me to meet new people and also become familiar with Holy Family. When you know that you will be attending Holy Family reach out to someone such as a staff member, and they will help you find something that you will enjoy. Not only will this help with making new friends, but it will also make your transition to Holy Family so much easier. On the first day of school, it makes a huge difference when you know people in the hallway or have someone that can answer your questions.
  2. ASK FOR HELP: Do not be afraid to ask for help. If you are struggling with classes, friends, college stuff, or are just having a bad day, people will want to help you. Not because they want to bother you but because they genuinely care and want each student to succeed. Being in high school can be hard, but at Holy Family, the support that you have is something that is truly special. If you are struggling with an assignment, you can ask your teacher, Mrs. Redshaw or Mrs. Kandiko. If you need a good laugh, Mr. Bosch has your back with endless dad jokes. If you have a prayer request, you can go to Fr. Gjendahl. If you need some encouragement, Mr. Murray will be there waiting at the door to give you a fist bump. If you are overwhelmed, your counselor will be there to tell you that it is normal. I could go on and on with all of the different ways the staff at Holy Family are there to help you, but you have to be willing to ask. “Ask for help. Not because you are weak. But because you want to remain strong.”- Les Brown
  3. TRY SOMETHING NEW AND OUTSIDE OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE: High school is a time when you are given a lot of new opportunities. You only get four years out of your life to be in high school, so you might as well make the most of it. I encourage every student to do something that might be new or something that they wouldn’t typically do. Maybe going to a football game all dressed up for a Hawaiian theme night is not your thing. Well, do it anyway because you do not know when that opportunity might come again. Go on a service trip even if it is uncomfortable. Go to the dances. Go to sports games; all dressed up. Participate in spirit weeks. These are just some of the opportunities that will be presented to you, but don’t sit back and just watch, instead ENJOY. Enjoy these four years, where so many memories will be made.
  4. DO YOUR BEST: If there is anything that you take away from this article, it is that you should always try as hard as you can and just be yourself. What people at Holy Family look at is how hard you tried, and if you put forth your best effort. They want you to succeed and reach your full potential, but that comes with hard work, dedication, and resilience.

I hope that my perspective from being a transfer student gave you useful advice that will benefit you not only when you arrive at Holy Family but for the years to come.