COVID-19: One Year Later

An example of “watching your distance” is social distancing that occurs during school masses this school year.

To help with the transition back to in-person learning after ending the 2019-2020 school year online due to the ever-changing COVID-19 pandemic, many changes at Holy Family have been put into place. As our understanding of the virus has changed over the past year, Holy Family has also adapted and created new modifications to keep everyone safe.

One such change was implementing a window room into Dr. Tisel’s physics classroom. He says, “The window has been under consideration by the science department for a few years. It adds to the space available to the teacher (e.g during COVID) and it affords a great variety of learning options for students using this area in the future. It is wonderful to have the window in place, I greatly appreciate it and the efforts that went into its construction.” The room also adds space for students to do lab activities and is an overall great addition to the classroom because of its multiple uses. Another new change to Holy Family during the pandemic were arrows on the floors of the hallways. In the beginning of the school year, the arrows were used to direct traffic and keep students walking on the right side of the hallway. However, as our understanding of COVID-19 and how it spreads has changed, so has the necessity for the arrows. Mr. Thuli, assistant principal of Holy Family, shares, “With the passing time being 5 minutes, we realized that students were not going to be considered in close contact while moving through the hallways. Also, many of the arrows were starting to fade and rip.” Thus, the arrows have been removed from the hallways of Holy Family.

A third change due to the pandemic was having the students sign up for lunch tables. This was to make it easier to contact trace if any cases of COVID-19 did arise. At first, the lunch tables were limited to four students. However, six students are now allowed at each lunch table. Mr. Thuli explains that this is because “many of the restrictions surrounding restaurants are being eased.” Additional tables were added for students who do not feel comfortable sitting at a table of six.  Lastly, the most important way to keep everyone at school healthy is to follow the 3 Ws: wear your mask, wash your hands, and watch your distance.