New Teachers at Holy Family (Part One)

This school year we got an exciting list of new teachers! Most people already know what classes they teach, but not a lot of people know them on a more personal level. Jossy Fette interviewed four of these teachers and asked them some fun questions. 

Arely Zimmermann- Spanish

Q: What did you do before teaching at Holy Family?

A: I taught at elementary schools and in the Eden Prairie school district.

Q: What inspired you to become a teacher?

A: I don’t know, it’s just what I wanted to do my whole life. My aunt was a teacher, and it’s what I’ve always wanted to do ever since I was a little kid. 

Q: Growing up, what was your favorite thing to learn about in school?

A: Literature and painting. I loved art classes.

Q: Who is your favorite musician?

A: Paul McCartney/The Beatles (Paul’s my favorite).

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

A: Greece.

Q: What piece of advice do you have for seniors?

A: Once they are out of college and start working, travel as much as you can and buy a house.

Q: If you weren’t a teacher what would you do instead?

A: Ideally, somebody would pay me to travel. Something that I would absolutely love to do is have a youtube channel where I give summaries of where I travel.

Q: Which famous person would you spend a day with?

A: Any artist or politician. Actually, probably Jesus, I have a lot of questions for him.

Q: What is one thing you have on your bucket list?

A: Swimming with dolphins.

Sandra Navarrete- Science

Q: Do you like going to the movie theater or do you prefer watching movies at home?

A: I would rather watch it in a theater because you get a massive screen, surround sound, it’s dark, and you can go out with friends. If I want to be comfy I will stay home.

Q: What’s one of your pet peeves?

A: I don’t like being lied to.

Q: Why did you want to be a teacher and what would you be if you weren’t?

A: I originally went to school to be a doctor, my degree is in pre-medicine. I want to be a teacher because I love the chance to build relationships and get to talk about what I love, science. If I wasn’t a teacher I would love to be an actress or a singer.

Q: What would be an ideal way to spend your birthday?

A: I’d probably start with a Starbucks coffee, maybe take a morning walk, and then go on a picnic with a bunch of friends. I would end the day by making cookies and watching a funny movie with my friends and siblings. 

Q: What is your favorite topic in science to talk about?

A: I really enjoy talking about the body system like anatomy, bones, and the digestive system. The digestive system is probably my favorite thing in the world. I also love understanding the body systems and I like learning about genetics.

Q: What is a job you think you wouldn’t be good at?

A: Anything where I had to be quiet, like a spy. I would want to talk about my job all the time. I would also suck at being a librarian because I would suck at being quiet.

Q: What was your new year’s resolution?

A: The typical ones, I always have the one where I can’t yell but I’m not very good at that because I usually break it pretty quickly.

Q: What piece of advice would you give to freshmen?

A: Try everything. Don’t be afraid! Join different groups and try different sports. Don’t give up, don’t feel like you can’t do something because you’re bad at it. If you never try you’ll never know, it could be really fun.

Q: Do you believe in any conspiracy theories? 

A: If there is no hardcore evidence, I have a hard time with them.

Q: Who is your favorite fictional character?

A: My mind goes directly to a superhero. I personally love Iron Man, he perseveres but also has an attitude that reminds me of myself. 

Kyle Economy- Social Studies

Q: What’s the weirdest dream you’ve had?

A: In middle school, I had a dream where there was a moose riding a skateboard down the street of my hometown.

Q: What did you want to be when you were growing up?

A: A meteorologist. I wanted to work for the National Weather Service in Chanhassen.

Q: What made you decide to be a teacher?

A: When I worked at Holy Family as a track and cross country coach, the experience I got from coaching really inspired me to pursue a career in teaching.

Q: What’s your favorite childhood memory?

A: Spring Break trips with family to Hawaii.

Q: What’s your favorite movie?

A: Crash, it’s about the intersecting lives of people and trying to look past misconceptions.

Q: Who is your favorite “hero”, fictional or real?

A: Batman.

Q: Would you rather live in Alaska or Hawaii?

A: Both. Alaska in the summer, Hawaii in the winter. I love both of the states. They are both beautiful. 

Q: What piece of advice do you have for your high school self?

A: Have more confidence and trust the thoughts you have.

Q: What’s the best gift you have ever gotten, the worst?

A: Being able to come and know Jesus Christ and understanding the sacrifices he made. My worst gift would be my Grandma for Christmas one time gave me a coin counter, she was a master of regifting.

Q: What’s your favorite holiday?

A: Christmas, everything about it is so great; church, concerts, spending time with family, and the snow.

Jon Kopplin- Director of Vocal Music

Q: What is your favorite family recipe?

A: Tater tot hotdish. 

Q: What is your favorite music genre?

A: It varies throughout my life, but at my core, I’m into early to mid 90s alternative grunge rock.

Q: What is one of your pet peeves?

A: The terms “100%” and “same.”

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

A: It varies mostly from baseball and running. In the winter, I like to snowshoe. My family is into pheasant hunting and I own my family farm in South Dakota.

Q: Do you collect anything?

A: Yes, when I was in middle school/high school I was a big-sports card nerd and comic book collector. I gave my old sports cards to my son and got back into collecting.

Q: What advice do you have for your high school self?

A: I think having a very specific five and ten-year plan is flawed. I think you should have goals, but as you get older you should work to improve yourself and expand yourself. Instead of having a super specific life plan.

A: Well, my favorite book is Ninety Eighty-Four. I think the protagonist has a fascinating story, but he isn’t very likable.

Q: What would you do if you weren’t a teacher?

A: I can’t imagine doing anything but teaching.

Q: What is your spirit animal?

A: Unikitty.

Q: What would you be famous for?

A: I would be famous for doing something ridiculously stupid, and getting it posted on youtube. It wouldn’t be offensive, it would just be really weird.