The student news site of Holy Family Catholic High School

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Best Breakup and Love Songs for Valentine’s Day

If you are feeling love in the air this Valentine’s Day, hoping that you get asked out by your crush, or just  enjoy the thought of love, music is one of the best ways to feel those emotions. Sometimes a song will truly speak about what you are going through. Thinking  of love songs, the album Lover by Taylor Swift encapsulates the raw and vulnerable feelings of the strong emotion. The album takes you through all the bad, all the good, and everything in between. A song off the album Lover takes you through a story of how two friends turned into a romantic relationship. This song is none other than “Paper Rings” by Taylor Swift. Taylor’s storytelling captures all of the giddy feelings a lot of people feel when they meet “the one”. The song is fast paced, upbeat, and even if you aren’t in love by listening to this song, you are able to experience the emotion for three minutes and forty-two seconds. 

If you aren’t in love this Valentine’s Day but have a crush on that special someone, “Delicate” by Taylor Swift is the song for you. “Delicate” captures the feeling of not knowing if you said too much, too little, or not knowing if it’s okay that you are thinking about this person. A lyric that sticks out in this song is, “Is it cool that I said all that, is it chill that you’re in my head, cause I know that it’s delicate,” Swift sings. The feeling of not knowing what you should do, the unknowing if they feel the same way. Swift recalls that “sometimes I wonder when you are asleep, are you ever dreaming of me?” Taylor Swift is arguably one of the most relatable artists when it comes to her songwriting. Any emotion you feel, Taylor will have a song for it. 

Some people think that Valentine’s Day is one of the worst days of the year. If you have been alone on Valentine’s Day, or have been with someone on Valentine’s Day but aren’t anymore, breakup songs can make you feel like you are not alone. If you are dreading this holiday, a song that might make you feel better is “Happier Than Ever” by Billie Eilish. In the beginning of this song, it’s just Eilish with a ukulele telling  listeners that being away from someone she used to love has made her “happier than ever.” The song slowly starts to progress, and there is a huge change in the beat. All of a sudden, all of the emotions that felt like were held back at the beginning of the song have been released. “Happier Than Ever” by Billie Elish takes the cake for one of the saddest songs ever written. 

If you aren’t sad about a breakup, but more angry, the song “Get Him Back!” by Olivia Rodrigo is the perfect song to scream at the top of your lungs when you really need to get it all out. Rodrigo tells the story of her wanting to get back at her ex-boyfriend through anger and keying his car. (If you are reading this and want to get back at your ex, please do not key anyone’s car…just my advice). Her anger and witty lyrics make this a perfect song to listen to when you just want to get back at them.

Whether you are in love, broken up with, or single this Valentine’s Day, hopefully these songs will help with any emotion you are feeling. Music is one of the best therapies for any situation that you may be going through.