The student news site of Holy Family Catholic High School

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

Scoring Another Thousand

Jocelyn Land’s love of basketball has been apparent since the moment she first stepped onto the court. Growing up in a small town in California, she and her friends would always talk about their dreams and envision themselves making it big. Luckily for Jocelyn, she had an older brother who she could compete with every day. Through intense one-on-ones, or competitive games of P-I-G, her brother Judah instilled the competitiveness she has today. Their bond as brother and sister grew each year, and it gave Jocelyn a competitive edge. Judah is two years older than her, so the age difference pushed Jocelyn to be stronger and more aggressive in her game. Because of that, youth basketball was a breeze for her.

Continuing into high school, Jocelyn continued to excel and stand out. She was blessed with the genes necessary to be an amazing basketball player. She got the height from her mom, and the strength from her dad; combined with the continuous workouts she’s done from a young age, she is able to physically outpower other players. Standing at six-feet tall, she is taller than a majority of girls. With all of that, she has amazing dribbling skills, and the ability to be a “lights-out” shooter. With her talent and skill, she is set up for great success. 

Jocelyn Land, a senior at Holy Family, recently had a huge accomplishment. One that she never thought was possible; one that was only possible through the continuous hours of hard work at the gym. On February 2nd, 2024, Jocelyn scored her two-thousandth point at Delano. This was just one of many accomplishments throughout her high school career, but it is one that she will remember forever. She said, “I have never been more emotional for a game in my life. All of the hard work, and to finally see it pay off is really special for me.” To put it into perspective, Jocelyn wakes up every morning at 5:15 a.m. to get shots up before school. This shows the sheer determination she has to become the best basketball player that she can be. She is continuing her basketball career at Butler University this coming year, and she could not be more excited for the new challenges and opportunities it has to offer.