The student news site of Holy Family Catholic High School

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

Beyond the Pom-Poms and Pep-Rallies

The Holy Family cheer team may be just a year old, but the spirit and talent it holds is much greater than that. This school year has brought Holy Family’s football team’s first win in four and a half years. Another thing this school year has brought is a brand new cheer team. There may be correlation between the two, and the current cheer team may be the perfect good luck charm. From August to November, the team practices twice a week, and is coached by Julie Barkley-Hoffer and Christina Sevcik. The girls see the coaches as nice, supportive, honest, funny, and reliable role models. At practice, the eight girls work on conditioning, running, stunts, toe touches, baskets, extensions, and much more. One of the cheerleaders Regan Oster says, “I love the trust that practicing our stunts build.” Before every game, the girls have dinner together as a team to prepare themselves for a long night of cheering, dancing, flipping, and keeping the crowd’s spirit alive. Then, they throw on their cute and classy, green and white uniforms and get to work cheering, dancing, and flipping around. Whether the football team is winning or losing, the day brings rain or shine, these girls keep the Fire spirit alive. The cheer team is currently preparing. This includes staying in shape for the next season by doing team camps. It is clear to say that with every spirited chant and gravity-defying stunt, Holy Family’s cheerleading team has a representation of enthusiasm, dedication, and teamwork that any sports team would be lucky to have cheering them on.