The student news site of Holy Family Catholic High School

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

All of the Talent; None of the Coffee

Coffee House is a long-standing tradition in Holy Family history that has been around long before most students reading this have ever set eyes on the school we call home today. How did it come about? Where is the coffee? How do I participate? 

Coffee House is Holy Family’s version of a high school talent show, but with its own unique twist. Instead of letting anyone show off their odd talents for the world to see and a student section to give pity and applause to, it is entirely focused on music. You can sing, play, or dance your way into the hearts of the cramped black-box theater as they cheer on in joy. One main question you may ask is, how do I participate? In an interview with Ava Wilson, a senior who has participated in Coffee House for four years said, “First, you need to do an audition. You are given a song to sing, and if you like it, you can  participate.” Of course, this only applies to those who wish to sing in the coffee house. For dancing and instruments, you simply need to play the piece that you wish to perform at Coffee House.

Once that is all over, you need to prepare until Coffee House takes place, which happens in early to mid-April, depending on the year. Unlike other talent shows, this isn’t a competition. There is no reward besides the satisfaction of showing off your love of music. And for all who participate, that is more than enough. But still, that leaves a question up in the air that has yet to be answered: where is the coffee?